The Original forum for International Harvester Cub Cadet owners

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!
Want to donate to help keep this site free to use?

Please check the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) before posting your question -
perhaps it has already been answered there.

While you're at it, please also read through the IH Cub Cadet Forum Rules before posting.
Thanks!!

Got a suggestion for, question about or problem with the site? E-mail us at info@ihcubcadet.com

Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
IH Cub Cadet Forum * CCC and MTD Machines & Equipment * Snow Blower chute not working < Previous Next >

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Jeremiah Chamberlin (Jchamberlin) on Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 06:19 pm:

Leonard

In the spirit of the forum, you should post the pictures and an account of your modifications just for the record. How do expect to be famous if you don't tell your story?

My 782 has issues and so do I

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Leonard Brault (Lbrault) on Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 02:36 pm:

Car window motor cost $28.00 from Amazon, $5.00 for switch form Home Depot, $3.00 for Plastic pipe parts. Looks nice, works great. Can provide details if needed.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Allen Schumacher (Aschumacher) on Friday, February 25, 2011 - 10:49 am:

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Paul W.Roessler (Proessler) on Friday, February 25, 2011 - 09:54 am:

Darren,FYI there's 953-0912 chute motor on Ebay, Buy it Now, $179.95 w/ free shipping.

882 Diesel...PWR

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos" (Kmcconaughey) on Friday, February 25, 2011 - 09:03 am:

If you use the search function here and search for "chute rotator" you'll find lots of posts of custom electric chute rotators that people have posted using automotive power window motors, wiper motors and hydraulic motors. Please note that you should select the keyword option of AND rather than the default OR for better search results. Perhaps you'll find a suitable setup that you could fab up on a budget for use on your walk behind snow blower.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Nick Queensland (Nqueensland) on Friday, February 25, 2011 - 07:40 am:

Allen- The one I worked on was totally sealed up- no place to add or check grease. Typical for the newer made equipment. That's probably a big reason why they fail.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Allen Schumacher (Aschumacher) on Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 07:42 pm:

Nick, do those gear boxes come apart? could it be possible that any grease in it turned to something solid and maybe Darrens rotator could still be saved if the motor didn't really smoke ?? (Dont rotate while throwing snow!...kinda sounds like a design flaw !)

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Nick Queensland (Nqueensland) on Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 07:11 pm:

Darren- I was just thinking about your problem some more and I remembered that I tested the motor by unplugging the motor from the wiring harness, then hooking my multimeter leads up the the wiring harness. It showed no voltage, but when I moved the switch in either direction with the engine running it did register voltage, so I knew the switch and wiring were good. When I took the motor/gearbox off they were totally locked up. I think the gearbox went out and burned the motor out. I think turning the chute when it is full of snow wrecks them.
Good luck finding a used one! I know Ariens walk behinds use a similar setup, so if you can locate an Ariens dealer and compare parts they may be able to get one cheaper.
They are a heck of a nice snowblower. I'm sure you'll miss it while it's being repaired!

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Allen Schumacher (Aschumacher) on Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 06:46 pm:

Darren, you mentioned your company chute moved around when in use with manual swivel. I have an Arens w/b 5hp 24" unit that has manual turning. It has a type of 'friction clutch' on the center pivot that holds my chute in place nicely, but is still easy to use. As a last resort maybe you will have to go hand crank, but 'invent' some sort of holding assy. JMHO
You sure the one at work isn't just out of adjustment??Which means maybe a conversion may still be practical.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Darren Becker (Dbecker) on Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 05:08 pm:

Nick, Thank you very much, It does help. I will try that tonight. I would love to convert it to manual, however, We have a blower just like mine at work with a manual chute and it's not very good. As snow is going through it constantly moves. The chute is the only thing I don't like about my machine. I will continue to look for a used motor. I can't spend 250.00 on that part.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Paul W.Roessler (Proessler) on Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 03:42 pm:

Darren B. U can place a Wanted Ad in the Classified Section...

882 Diesel...PWR

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Nick Queensland (Nqueensland) on Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 03:11 pm:

Darren- I fixed one of these last winter and it turned out to be the chute motor. At the time they were back ordered, so they must sell a lot of them! How I troubleshot it was to unhook the wires going to the rotator motor and put voltage to it and see if it rotates. I can't remember for sure, but I think I used a 12 volt jumper pack and a couple jumper wires and just touched it to the motor wires. You can also test the switch using a multimeter set on ohms to see if it is bad. I couldn't find any used motor/gearbox assemblies, so I had to buy a new one. It looks like you can convert it to a manual rotate setup if you buy the proper pieces. Hope this helps!

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Darren Becker (Dbecker) on Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 12:13 pm:

Hello, I have a Cub Cadet snow blower with a power chute that is not working.It began to rotate slower and slower and now does not rotate at all. I don't know if it's the chute motor or the switch or a different problem. Does anyone have any info on this? Its 250.00 for a new motor and almost 60.00 for a new switch on Cub Cadets web site. Does anyone have used parts that I can purchase?
Thank you all for any help with this.

Model number: 31AH4Q3G100 4 wheel drive, 10hp 28" path

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

8224 registered users
Discus 4.10.1 released 03/14/2007

All core web site images and graphics are the property of the IH Cub Cadet forum. Any unauthorized use, reproduction, duplication is prohibited.

DISCLAIMER:This website contains no material provided by MTD Products Inc, is not affiliated with or sponsored by MTD Products Inc, which owns the CUB CADET trademarks. It is not an official MTD Products Inc website and MTD Products Inc is not responsible for any of its content. The official MTD Products Inc, website can be found at: www.mtdproducts.com The information and opinions expressed on this website, including the bulletin boards and/or chat rooms hosted on this site are the responsibility of the website's owner and/or visitors, and do not represent the opinions of MTD Products Inc.