The Original forum for International Harvester Cub Cadet owners

Please check the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) before posting your question -
perhaps it has already been answered there.

While you're at it, please also read through the IH Cub Cadet Forum Rules before posting.
Thanks!!

Got a suggestion for, question about or problem with the site? E-mail us at info@ihcubcadet.com

Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
IH Cub Cadet Forum * The Sandbox * Stacks?? < Previous Next >

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Michael Lies (Mlies) on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 08:46 pm:

I have one brace on but Im going to put one going down when I start working on that cub. I isnt too heavy I have cut it down and removed most of the baffle one brace from the head and I have to find someplace below to mount. I havent really run this one because the rings are out of it smokes real bad like diesel. I did see the crack and probably wont put this kind of exhaust on my full time runner. Thanks for the warning or heads up.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Kendell Ide (Kide) on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 01:15 pm:

Dennis:
I'll stick with what Kohler/IHC sent me.. besides - what would I do without

Fat Fendered F-100s, Bathtub Mercs, Cushman Scooters, Cruiser Yamahas and most of all Cubs.....Life is good!!

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Dennis Frisk (Dfrisk) on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 11:21 am:

KENDELL - I think Brian Miller's puller site even mentions the problems with stacks & straight pipes on Kohler's. My little straight pipe on the 72 is ALL under the hood and only 22 inches from the face of the exh. port to the end of the pipe and I have a support bracket on the end that bolts to the starter/generator bracket. I have TOO much time & $$$$$$ in that little K321 to have it "fall apart"!

Back years ago when the 70 was new I had about every variation of striaght pipe on that little K161, everything from a 4 ft tall pipe with a rain cap that was annoying as all heck, to a pair of chrome VW Beetle resonator pipes in welded up elec. conduit for "Twin Stacks". TALL pipes just don't work for Me and ALL my trees, even short pipes would be a problem. I do like My side exit exhaust though, even at idle I can blow stuff off the workbench in the shop from five feet away!

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Kendell Ide (Kide) on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 08:41 am:

Michael:
As heavy as those mufflers are, I hope you've got some bracing on that .... See Greg Lippert's post on the main forum regarding the 301 block that's cracked out along the top of the exhaust port (and Dennis Frisk's comments on why it might have cracked)....

Fat Fendered F-100s, Bathtub Mercs, Cushman Scooters, Cruiser Yamahas and most of all Cubs.....Life is good!!

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Brendan Brigham (Bbrigham) on Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 11:48 pm:

I thought about doing that once, I have a pair of new take off dresser mufflers. They're kinda big though. I originally was going to put them on my sand rail but have since sold it. I am looking around for an atv muffler to use on the 73, want to run the exhaust next to the frame rail then muffler to go over the rear axle. That should make it pretty quiet. Use the 73 in the woods a lot so want to keep it quiet. Harley take offs are great for making exhaust pipes with all the mandrel bends in them.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Michael Lies (Mlies) on Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 11:33 pm:

HD  screamin eagle w/ baffle
I work at a harley dealer so I can make up all sorts of stacks this one even has the baffle it runs nice and quiet. The next one with baffle has a changeable end cap not done with rebuild yet still stripping paint.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy randy littrell (Rlittrell) on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 11:52 pm:

Brad B - Cuz it looks coooooooler!

Seriously, I think it make it look more like a tractor and it does keep alot of heat out of the engine compartment. That has to be a good thing.

Randy

Randy Littrell
Harrisonville,Mo.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Richard Palmer (Rpalmer) on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 05:30 pm:

I want to tap into this knowledge and experience. I am almost ready to put a stack on my 104. But when I do here's what I'm looking at. First off not ever having worked on exhaust before it appears that a spanner nut is the connector. BUT from what I've been able to see that is used along with a "proper" exhaust elbow. And what I have on mine is heavy honkin' pipe (with the nut). Also I have a 16hp. in my 104 and I'm not sure if the standard elbow piece will allow me to raise the hood without the stack/muffler being in the way. The unit I plan to use is at cc specialties if that helps in knowing what I talking about when I say "proper" elbow.

Kohler engines, V-twins and beer. I think I love Wisconsin.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Glen M. Coleman (Gcoleman) on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 05:12 pm:

Haha, ive caught many trees with the stack on my cub, i put mine through the hood of my 149. ITS ALMOST DONE, FINALLY!

"Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Green Tractors..."

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Lonny Buttke (Lbuttke) on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 07:47 pm:

Heres a shot of how I put a stack on one of my cubs, just attach it to the OEM muffler.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, thats why its call the present.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Keith LeJeune (Klejeune) on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 05:20 pm:

That straight pipe is really light weight. I couldn't get the old elbow to budge and didn't want to break it off in the block so I left it. It's not exactly 90* straight out from the block so I had to take the Cub to the muffler shop and bend accordingly. The guy only charged me $5 and didn't really want to charge me that. He gave me the old clamp too. It was used and found it laying in the shop. Good thing too, as it's hard to find a 1-1/2" muffler clamp here in town.

The decals are still great. It really doesn't put off that much heat.

It's loud I know that!!!!! Nice echo, echo echo echo in the Cub Shack.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Home of the Plow Special (Aaytay) on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 04:20 pm:

...or sell it to me! :-)

All Cub Cadets should have wheel weights! :-)

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos" (Kmcconaughey) on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 04:14 pm:

Art, yeah good point. I guess the weight would act to tighten the threads too. I can't keep the plain old muffler tight in the SO76, seems like I have to tighten it up every other time I run it. Maybe I should put a stack on it....

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Dale Merkle (Dmerkle) on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 04:12 pm:

This is on my Son's 86.

He has a brace on it.

The silver looking tape is header wrap. It keeps the heat inside the tape and does not ruin the decal.

Majority of the time this is on the 86.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Home of the Plow Special (Aaytay) on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 03:47 pm:

Kraig-
Keep in mind, that's just a stack, not a muffler, so he can probably get away without a brace.

That said, another thing stacks are good for is breaking off the block's exhaust threads and getting exhaust in your face. Can you tell I'm not a fan?...

All Cub Cadets should have wheel weights! :-)

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Vincent Thomley (Vthomley) on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 10:25 am:

Stacks are great!

This one started with a off brand muffler, I planed to change it to a stock muffler, then I it look better with a stack.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos" (Kmcconaughey) on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 09:51 am:

Keith, looks very nice! Always good to see Jerry's old Original, especially since you've restored it. Doesn't look like you have any sort of brace on that, I'm surprised it doesn't unscrew itself??? How's the decal and paint holding up on the hood behind the stack?

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Keith LeJeune (Klejeune) on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 09:23 am:

On my CCO with loader the stock exhaust came right out at the loader arm and I like the look of the stack anyway so this is what I did:

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Dennis Frisk (Dfrisk) on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 03:43 pm:

JERRY - You forgot to mention about the branches smacking You in the face AFTER the branch slips away.
Not really a problem with My Cubbies but I've been Smacked so many times on My FARMALL's. Plus I run the rain caps on the straight pipes facing forward in "Limb-catching Mode"

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy jerry harvey "Nines are wild" (Jharvey) on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 02:44 pm:

Catching low hanging limbs.

Never met a garden tractor I didn't like!

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Kendell Ide (Kide) on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 02:42 pm:

Stylin'

Last snowbird out of FL, turn out the lights

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Brad Borchers (Bborchers) on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 01:22 pm:

What is the propose for using stacks instead of the stock exhaust??

"If I can't fix it, It's not broken"

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

7909 registered users
Discus 4.10.1 released 03/14/2007

All core web site images and graphics are the property of the IH Cub Cadet forum. Any unauthorized use, reproduction, duplication is prohibited.

DISCLAIMER:This website contains no material provided by MTD Products Inc, is not affiliated with or sponsored by MTD Products Inc, which owns the CUB CADET trademarks. It is not an official MTD Products Inc website and MTD Products Inc is not responsible for any of its content. The official MTD Products Inc, website can be found at: www.mtdproducts.com The information and opinions expressed on this website, including the bulletin boards and/or chat rooms hosted on this site are the responsibility of the website's owner and/or visitors, and do not represent the opinions of MTD Products Inc.