The Original forum for International Harvester Cub Cadet owners

If you would like to help maintain this site, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Please check the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) before posting your question -
perhaps it has already been answered there.

While you're at it, please also read through the IH Cub Cadet Forum Rules before posting.
Thanks!!

Got a suggestion for, question about or problem with the site? E-mail us at info@ihcubcadet.com

Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
IH Cub Cadet Forum * Cool IH Cub Cadets Not OEM but better'n' new ! ! ! * Archive through August 11, 2011 < Previous Next >

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Marlin Homrighausen (Mhomrighausen) on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 03:56 am:

Zack L. th_agree.gif That's what I was going to do. Or use an old belt. That seems the most practical (and easiest). I was reading one clip about it and two young men started getting into mathematical signs and things that I'd forgotten about the day I graduated high school.

Here's a Smiley for KENtuckyKEN. th_thmillangonefishing.gif

Having trouble with your Cub Cadet Hydro transmission? ® CLICK HERE

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Zack Ling (Zling) on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 10:47 pm:

silly me I just used some string and a tape measure and made a trip to the auto parts store seemed like the easiest way to measure for a belt didnt know I needed a computer.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Marlin Homrighausen (Mhomrighausen) on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 04:57 pm:

I just did some GOOGLE Search on how to calculate belt length for those that may want to create a homemade or custom hydraulic pump for their Cub Cadet. How To Calculate Belt Length.

And finally I noticed this little bit of info. Pulley/Belt Calculator along with this... Durabelt. The Durabelt site when you scroll down actually tells how to determinte "pitch" diameter.

Should make some interesting reading.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Zack Ling (Zling) on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 11:41 am:

Marlin, its just an old gm pump that we had layin around. I don't know what its out of but they are all about the same.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Marlin Homrighausen (Mhomrighausen) on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 03:54 am:

Zack L. What kind of pump (make of vehicle the pump is from) on your tractor? I might just adapt one like that to the 125.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Zack Ling (Zling) on Monday, August 15, 2011 - 10:20 pm:

Kraig, yeah I borrowed some ideas from Ryans tractor. mine also was built to do some serious plowing. I like to call mine a 148HD cause everything on it has been beefed up to take some abuse. It started out as just wanting to add hydraulic lift on my 128 because I hate hydros and slowly progressed from there

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Marlin Homrighausen (Mhomrighausen) on Monday, August 15, 2011 - 04:14 am:

Good Morning, All. For the newer members... A little more information on the prototype hydro Original.

Mr. Ricketts said the first time they started it the forward/reverse lever was hooked directly to the trunion arm. Since no one knew if moving the lever with someone on the tractor would stall the engine they gave it a little more than half throttle. Upon moving the lever resulted in an instant wheelie. They had to throttle down to just around a quarter open to successfully operate the tractor. Just as they were ready to take the tractor back inside and begin design on the dampner one of the higher-ups came out and wanted to drive the Cub Cadet. Even though he was warned about the danger he insisted he would be careful. It was a good thing there were others standing around the tractor when he pushed the lever forward. The tractor did a big wheelie and two guys grabbed the tractor and another grabbed for the rider. It almost threw him off and overturned.

The tractor was ladened with weights, literally driven off the back of a pickup truck and loading docks, mowed lawns, pushed snow amongst other rigorous testing. I asked Mr. Ricketts if they ever plowed a garden with it. He said they hadn't. I reassured him that those hydros were solidly built and could withstand a Plow Day Event.

If you were to put fresh gas in the tractor and a new battery it would fire right up. It was literally driven into the building, onto the elevator, and to the place it was positioned when it arrived at the company after refurbishing.

The CJR initials stand for Charlie J. Ricketts. They are located just above the CUB CADET decal on the hood.

Off to work now. Have a wonderful and safe day.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy joshua donald stertz (Jstertz) on Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 03:15 pm:

Thanks for the info guys! I can see now by studying pics of the two tractors that it certainly wouldn't be as simple as changing a few parts. That still won't stop me from trying to build one someday if I get a notion to! I need to get the Cubbie done first and finish a few upgrades on the Cub-Kub. Then I need to let the wife settle down for a little while before I think of bringing "another" tractor home! It would be a real challenge to make the rear area of the 123 look similar to the CCO because of the hydro unit, drive shaft tunnel and of course the completely different fender seat system. A builder by trade, I know that remodels are never easy but they can be very rewarding...

Kraig-thanks for the photo of the prototype! How cool is that? Having that hydro between your legs gives a whole new meaning to "get your roasted nuts here!". I know my 15U gets pretty toasty when under a heavy load for a while.

Marlin- thanks so much for the history lesson on the prototype! I love that kind of info. It got me all excited about my dad's 875 Wheel Horse again. We are going to get that thing running again soon and hopefully I can convince him to restore it this next year. It of course is a '65 model. I would like to post some pics I took of the hydro unit today.
Should I start a new thread in off topic tractors and place them there? I don't want a spanking from Charlie! I shared that story with my dad and he was very interested. I'll have to find someone who has the production serial number info and see if dads is an early or late '65 model.

Like I said earlier, I'm a hydro junkie because I grew up on one, little did I know that it was a cousin to my current hydros!

Bit Hard by the "Cub Bug"
Josh Stertz

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Lucas Jones (Ljones) on Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 02:05 pm:

Marlin, thanks for the info, I had no idea that tractor had that much history.

Visit my cub site

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Marlin Homrighausen (Mhomrighausen) on Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 08:23 am:

Lucas J. That little Cub Cadet is THE garden tractor that International Harvester based its decision to build a hydrostatic propelled garden tractor and was developed by Sunstrand Corporation engineer, Charlie Ricketts. There were actually two Cub Cadets and one Wheel Horse. Wheel Horse and the other Cub Cadet had a different style of hydrostatic pump/motor. Wheel Horse went with that system and beat IH with introduction fo the world's first hydrostatic propelled garden tractor by less than six months. John Deere also used that same style of pump in their first hydro GTs.

After the tests were done and all contracts signed, Sunstrand Corporation put all three tractors up for sale. Sadly, no one wanted the Wheel Horse so it was cut up and sold for scrap. One of the other project engineers bought the other Cub Cadet and it may still be around the Rockford, Illinois area. Charlie Ricketts purchased this tractor and used it for almost twenty years until Sauer Danfoss made an offer to re-aquire it and refurbish it (thus the newer style IH paint and decals) and it now is on display at the company in Ames, Iowa where I work.

Some facts for you & others about the first two prototype hydros.

The other Cub Cadet kept the 7 hp Kohler engine. This tractor was upgraded to a ten horse power Kohler when Sunstrand engineers heard that IH was developing a Cub Cadet with more horsepower.

To keep everything inline with the engine the dash pedestal was moved as far to the left as possible and a hole was cut into the pedestal to accomadate the inline driveshaft back to the hydro system.

The charge pump for this tractor came from a fuel oil furnace pump.

Since the three speed rear end gearing wouldn't work for the hydrostatic system, Charlie Ricketts had to do a quick-study on mechanical gearing and design a new rear end for this tractor. Only the axles, axle carriers and rims/tires and seat were kept.

That's all for now. I've stuff to do outside.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Dennis Frisk (Dfrisk) on Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 08:04 am:

LUCAS - Marlin would know for sure but I think it's a prototype Sundstrand built for IH. And if I remember Marlin's story correctly, someone from Sundstrand bought it after IH was done with it and ran it for many years.

Sundstrand was able to buy it back and had it restored for display at the Sauer-Danfoss plant where Marlin works.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Lucas Jones (Ljones) on Friday, August 12, 2011 - 06:18 pm:

Kentuck, yes I know the original is a prototype, but is it from IH or is it home made?

Visit my cub site

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy KENtuckyKEN (Kweaver) on Friday, August 12, 2011 - 06:14 pm:

Lucas - 12:21pm is a Prototype

By Greg Lippert (Glippert) on Wednesday April 28 2010 - 01:33 pm: "I don't care what Digger says KENtuckyKEN is a genius!"

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Lucas Jones (Ljones) on Friday, August 12, 2011 - 06:07 pm:

Kentuck, you think the cc factory setups are expensive they can't hold a candel to what a jd setup cost.

What do you mean by prototype from IH or a home made prototype?

Marlin, yes get more pics, and email me the big ones.

Visit my cub site

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy KENtuckyKEN (Kweaver) on Friday, August 12, 2011 - 05:23 pm:

A Big Block pump would be larger capacity , wish I'd kept my 454 BB pump but I let it go with the engine. I may still have a SB pump though , might have to play with it someday.

JDs had external "all in one" setups like CCs so there's another place to look. My distant cousin had one but I couldn't talk him out of it, probably junk now.

Marlin - YES PLEASE get more pics !! I've always wanted to see / know more about that prototype !

By Greg Lippert (Glippert) on Wednesday April 28 2010 - 01:33 pm: "I don't care what Digger says KENtuckyKEN is a genius!"

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos" (Kmcconaughey) on Friday, August 12, 2011 - 04:01 pm:

Zack, seeing your Cub reminded me that forum member D. Ryan Mull used a power steering pump on a 1450 that he put a gear drive rear end in for use as a Plow Day tractor. He called it a 1458 Plow Special.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Zack Ling (Zling) on Friday, August 12, 2011 - 03:36 pm:

saw some talk about power steering pumps heres some pics of my wideframe setup. It has a 14 horse out of a 1450 but im runnin the 1x8 front clutch so I can run the pump off the starter pulley and still run a tiller or whatever. I only use the fluid in the resevoir and its enough to run a stock hydraulic lift. I want to add remote hookups and power steering so Im gonna need to get more fluid from somewhere probably the rearend

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Marlin Homrighausen (Mhomrighausen) on Friday, August 12, 2011 - 03:28 pm:

Lucas J. and Kraig M. I'll ask for permission to get some better pictures in the near future of the Original prototype hydro for you and everyone else here. Should be able to get some by the end of the month.

I gotta make things short.... I need to mow lawn in a little bit.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos" (Kmcconaughey) on Friday, August 12, 2011 - 12:21 pm:

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Lucas Jones (Ljones) on Friday, August 12, 2011 - 09:37 am:

Dave, there is/was a picture of a original with a hydro trans in somwons profile that they saw at a show. Maybe Kraig has it.

Marlin, thanks for the research, it is helpful.

Kraig, thanks for those pictures that is a good idea for a mounting position for the pump.

I followed a thread on a different gt forum about some nice custom hydraulics that a machineist made for his cc 100, it had front and back ports and I am pretty sure he used a ps pump off a gm truck, I will try to find it. It was done so nicely it looked almost factory.

Visit my cub site

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Dave Ross (Dross) on Friday, August 12, 2011 - 08:23 am:

Isnt there a protptype picture floating around. I can remember seeing the fins above the tranny tunnel.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Paul Bell (Pbell) on Friday, August 12, 2011 - 08:05 am:

Joshua, Denny,
Even the fenders and seat would not bolt right on because the 123 frame has a "tall tunnel" rather than the low tunnel like the 70/100/71. With some work,yYou might be able to get the Original hood and grill on the 123, but it would look like a 123 with the hood and grill from an Original on it.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Dennis Frisk (Dfrisk) on Friday, August 12, 2011 - 07:18 am:

JOSHUA - Matt's correct, other than hardware items and a few gears & shafts in the transmission there isn't much that interchanges between a 123 & '61/'63 CC.

You probably could swap the grill casting onto the 123 frame with some fabrication. Not sure which hood would fit but you'd have to keep the steering pedistal to get the hydro control so I think the 123 hood would be best. The seat & fenders would bolt right on since the 70/100 & 71 had what you want.

I've never seen anyone do that modification before. I think I'd keep the air filter off the 123, the oil bath air filters are messy and really don't filter dirt out of the air all that well.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Matt Gonitzke (Mgonitzke) on Friday, August 12, 2011 - 05:32 am:

Without cutting stuff up, practically nothing.

Original, 582, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy joshua donald stertz (Jstertz) on Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 11:59 pm:

Purists please don't hate me!

I didn't know where to post this but I have a question, a thought really from the dark area of my brain. Yea, the place where all those weird and wild ideas come from. My wife hates it when I think with that part of my brain!

Here goes--How many parts, body wise, are interchangeable between the Original and the 123? I love the look of the Original at the top header of the page but I'm a sucker for the Sunstrand 15U. I've cut grass and worked with Hydro/ Hydraulic powered garden tractors my whole life! I was wondering if it would be possible to take a fixer upper 123 and put the seat, hood, grille assembly, round fenders, and anything else needed to make it look "original" (pun intended)? Thus creating a Cub Cadet not-so-Original Hydro! Is it possible? Has someone out there done it already? Or am I just crazy and left to dream and figure it out on my own?
Any input will be much appreciated!

Bit Hard by the "Cub Bug"
Josh Stertz

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Marlin Homrighausen (Mhomrighausen) on Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 05:52 pm:

With the Popular Science site go all the way to the top and start to scroll down. There are some really neat ads. Kraig M. will like the ones around pages 5-7 and I think around page 28 is an IH Scout ad. It is literally the whole magazine online.

KENtuckyKEN. Thank You for the compliment. They are made in Clarion, Iowa and pretty much feature Sauer Danfoss state of the art controls, etc.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy KENtuckyKEN (Kweaver) on Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 05:21 pm:

Marlin - C-O-O-L ! Looks like a Mars Rover !

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Marlin Homrighausen (Mhomrighausen) on Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 05:02 pm:

I did a Google Search and found some of these...

My Tractor Forum

Tractor ByNet

Popular Science Scroll down for some neat 1975 reading on garden tractors. Not related to this topic but still neat.

Garden Tractor Talk

Thanks to ALL for the added value postings about using the power steering pumps. And THANK YOU Kraig for the pictures. the cub Cadet that I had pictures of showed the pump mounted for reverse rotation on the side like a Cub Cadet.

Lucas J. Surplus Center CLICK HERE
... Ask for a catalog and then you can order out your own pump and accessories and build your own setup for around the cost of the OEM Cub Cadet units.

KENtuckyKEN. I'd thought abuot letting Lucas in on what would happen with the loader cylinders only it would be better if he used part of the framework of the loader for the reservoir. With that I'd definitely add a filter to the line going to the pump.

Now... A little off topic. On this video at the 2 minute 10 second spot it shows an H1 tandem with 45 series auxiliary pump on the rear of the unit. That is one of the styles of pumps that I help assemble on a daily basis.

Hagie STX10 Sprayer

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos" (Kmcconaughey) on Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 02:06 pm:

Here's a Cub Cadet that Pat Irlbeck had briefly (bought and resold) that used a auto power steering pump. I don't have any other details on it however.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Todd Markle (Farmallgray) (Tmarkle) on Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 01:50 pm:

I had the idea a long time ago to use a power steering pump from an older import car (domestic cars turn the wrong direction). An older import would have a V pulley and many used a remote reservoir. I figured it could be mounted the same as a NF factory pump, but plumbed to use the transaxle as the reservoir. I never got to try it though. I was told the pumps should have enough suction to pull fluid from the transaxle.

BTW, if using double acting cylinders the level won't change much once the system is full.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

8388 registered users
Discus 4.10.1 released 03/14/2007

All core web site images and graphics are the property of the IH Cub Cadet forum. Any unauthorized use, reproduction, duplication is prohibited.

DISCLAIMER:This website contains no material provided by MTD Products Inc, is not affiliated with or sponsored by MTD Products Inc, which owns the CUB CADET trademarks. It is not an official MTD Products Inc website and MTD Products Inc is not responsible for any of its content. The official MTD Products Inc, website can be found at: www.mtdproducts.com The information and opinions expressed on this website, including the bulletin boards and/or chat rooms hosted on this site are the responsibility of the website's owner and/or visitors, and do not represent the opinions of MTD Products Inc.