The Original forum for International Harvester Cub Cadet owners

We have someone that can use a little help right now, due to some health issues. Bryan McMeen has had some really severe health issues this year and needs our assistance. We're looking for all of you good people out there to step up and give a little, give a lot, or just give anything to help a fellow human being out in a time of need.

I have faith in you folks, so DON'T let me down!!!!

100% of all donations will be going to Bryan.

Please check the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) before posting your question -
perhaps it has already been answered there.

While you're at it, please also read through the IH Cub Cadet Forum Rules before posting.
Thanks!!

Got a suggestion for, question about or problem with the site? E-mail us at info@ihcubcadet.com

Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
IH Cub Cadet Forum * The Vault * Archive through March 07, 2006 < Previous Next >

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy David Kirk - For me it's Hydro-Therapy (Dkirk) on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 07:29 pm:

Kraig,

Great rooster tails! You've got that thrower really dialed in.

Ron and Peter,

Balance gears do help reduce vibration in the vertical direction (along the cylinder axis). The reason they've gotten a bad rap for grenading through the block is that most rebuilders don't replace the bearings or the stub shafts during a rebuild. These are high-wear items as they are quite heavily loaded under normal operation. Replacing these components along with new retaining rings will yield high reliability and keep vibration down to tolerable levels.

Quietlines are on my mind.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Ron R. Schmitt (Rrschmitt) on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 05:56 pm:

Peter S.
The balance gears help reduce the amount and magnitude of vibration in your engine for smoother operation. I know the guys that modify their CC's to be pullers take them out because they run at much higher RPM's than normal operations so there is likely a risk of the gears flying apart. Not sure if these gears have caused many problems under normal operations or not but I bet there are folks on the forum who would be able to provide added info. I see Kirk Engines, a forum sponsor, has some counterbalance weights available that you can install on your crankshaft in lieu of the balance gears.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Dennis Frisk (Dfrisk) on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 05:37 pm:

Peter - Keeping the balance gears SAFE in a box or bag under your workbench keeps them from spitting off the circlip that holds them to their shaft inside the crankcase, and then hitting the throw on the crankshaft which sends them through the sidewall of Your engine block making a nice picture window.
JERRY, Wild Bill - The 44" & 50" decks are deep drawn, read "expensive tooling" the older decks would be easy with todays lazers & CNC press brakes. Make the steel thicker if You can!

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Peter Simonovitch (Psimonovitch) on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 05:11 pm:

I"m hearing about removing the balance gears. I have my 149's motor apart is this something I should do? What does this do?
Thanks for all the info you guys give
Pete

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Lyle Baker (Lbaker) on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 04:43 pm:

Paul D.-Wait till you get some rain on top all that fertilizer you used!! That 1250 will love it.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy 'Wild Bill' Cook (Bcook) on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 04:35 pm:

Jerry M:
1) The 'short' 3 hole straps are for use with the Y adapter used on the 'Original' Cub Cadet tractors.

2) Like Kraig said, price will somewhat determine interest.

Last time I checked, MTD wanted in the neighborhood of $500 for a 44A bare shell!!

Now, if you could reproduce deck skins for any of the decks from the 38" timed deck used on the Originals, 38" and 42" cast iron end 'pin on' decks, to the 38", 42", and 48" 'QA' decks, and keep the final price reasonable... I'm sure people would be -very interested-..(You might have to look into patent and copy right laws)...but if the cost vs. a somewhat decent used deck, would be overly high, interest wouldn't turn into a purchase.

The 44A, 50A, 44C, and 50C deck skins can still be bought new from MTD (last I knew), plus there are still decent used versions available.

Cub Cadet....an American living legend!

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Charlie "Digger" Proctor (Cproctor) on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 03:05 pm:

Well after a LONG weekend up north, I dint find a single Cub.
But we did spy a pair of newly weds setting up house.
eaglenest

"Every Cub has beauty but not everyone sees it."

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Paul Dorow (Pdorow) on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 02:35 pm:

Looking @ Kraig's pictures, I'm so glad I moved out of the cheese head state 19 years ago! The grass is growing like crazy here in NC time to get the 1250 out.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Rob Neubauer (Rneubauer) on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 10:10 am:

Got a schematic a few weeks back showing sleeve hitch parts for a 582. On E-bay there are several IH Sleeve hitches for Wideframes (brackets that go on the tractor). Would any wideframe Sleeve Hitch parts work with my 582? Also, does anyone have any experience with the Aftermarket Electric lift sleeve hitch's, seems like a better way to go for my non-hydro cub.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos" (Kmcconaughey) on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 08:43 am:

Jerry M., I've seen several styles of the lift straps, one has a slot on one end with 5 holes another has 3 holes on one end and 6 holes on the other another has the slot on one end with 3 holes on the other. I believe the early version had the slot and 3 holes and the later version had the slot and 5 holes. The version with holes on both ends is for use with grader blades or other implements that require some downforce. I do not know of anyone making reproduction mower deck shells. How much call there would be is likely proportional to the price. I'm sure there will be other parts that would be welcomed on the market as the NOS and used parts are used up. I know that Mike M. was making the adapter part for the IH 3 point hitch lift bar to lift arm. I believe that Dan H. was also making these. There are several people making the sleeve hitch adapters.

(Message edited by kmcconaughey on March 14, 2006)

"Keeper of the Photos" So many new threads, so little time....

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Jerry Muncie (Jmuncie) on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 08:03 am:

Have a couple questions for everyone...

1) Do the sleeve hitch lift straps come in two different lengths? I've seen pictures of some with 3 round holes in the bottom and some with 4 round holes.

2) Does anyone already reproduce deck shells for the narrow frame Cub Cadets? I work for a company that has 3 lasers and several CNC press brakes. I can pretty easily reproduce the deck shells and a lot of the original ones I find are rusted out with good castings and good spindles. If nobody is already making these, how much interest would there be in them? What widths would everyone be interested in?

3) What other parts would there be a need for? I'm considering things like the adapter to mount a sleeve hitch on the 106, 107, 126, 127, etc. narrow frames. I also could do the piece that attaches the sleeve hitch linkage bar to the lift lever.

I'm looking forward to everyone's input.

Thanks,
Jerry Muncie

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos" (Kmcconaughey) on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 07:39 am:

Denny, Thanks, my daughter took the photos for me. They say we're supposed to get some more snow later this week too but I have not heard any amounts. There was about 11" or 12" of snow in the driveway but all the hard pack had melted off of the driveway so I had to keep the QA42 3-4" up to prevent it from throwing the gravel.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Jerry Bliler (Jbliler) on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 07:34 am:

Kraig, I think I would rather have the snow too. Watching the storm roll through was no fun. It is a rather helpless feeling knowing that there is nothing you can do but hope you are out of the way!

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos" (Kmcconaughey) on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 07:31 am:

Here's another.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Dennis Frisk (Dfrisk) on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 07:29 am:

KRAIG - Nice Photos! Weather-Guessers are saying We may get 3-6" Thursday.....They haven't even been CLOSE all winter.....So I'm predicting (and hoping) for flurries. After this past weekend with 60's & rain I have one pile in the yard big enough to make a dozen snowballs left. Everything else is gone! Since Saturday AM.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos" (Kmcconaughey) on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 07:21 am:

Jerry, good to hear you're OK!

I'll take snowstorms over tornados or fires anyday!

Here are some photos of me in the 125 with QA42 clearing the snow we got yesterday.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Jerry Bliler (Jbliler) on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 07:58 pm:

Well, the wife is now broken in to the tornado season here in Missouri. We are fine and were missed by a few miles. A nice area of houses near here is gone except for the mess
Why can people not move the mess to the curbside for pickup as they sort through looking for what is left???

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos" (Kmcconaughey) on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 02:56 pm:

Well we are finally getting some snow here in west central Wisconsin. There's about 10" of heavy wet snow on the ground. Like a dummy I drove to work and no one else did! I should have stayed home and played with the CC125 and QA42. Oh well I'll have something to do when I get home, provided I make it home........

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Dennis Frisk (Dfrisk) on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 02:56 pm:

MYRON - The Midwest SuperCub rods have a replacable bearing insert but they're not really meant for anything except pulling.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Myron Bounds (Mbounds) on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 12:02 pm:

Peter S: He was referring to the machined surfaces. There are no bushing/bearing inserts in Kohler rods (or 3d party sources either).

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Dennis Frisk (Dfrisk) on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 10:20 am:

MIKE M. - Are those Firestones 23-8.50's or the 6-12's? Almost looks like too much recess on the wheel centers to be the narrow rims for the 6-12's but they don't seem as wide as a 23-8.50. And do You have anything You run with the PTO shaft on the left rear wheel?
Really nice job on the restoration!

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos" (Kmcconaughey) on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 09:46 am:

Stan, I like it!

Mike M., as usual, excellent work! I like the ag tires, are those 23 deg Firestones in 8.5"?

David K., nice job on the steering wheel insert.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Tom Hoffman Northern Illinois Home of IHC (Thoffman) on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 10:08 pm:

Steve "W",
That looks interesting....

Northern Illinois, Home of International Harvester

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Harry "Butch" Linden (Hlinden) on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 07:29 pm:

Pete

I do not know if a 149 has the large pulley on the front of the motor. My Original developed a loud knock that definitely resembled a conrod or piston. It turned out that the pulley was rocking on the crank making this noise. It had a cracked hub. If there is a pully on the 149 try rocking the pulley to see if it is loose. Just a thought but that was the problem I had.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Peter Simonovitch (Psimonovitch) on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 06:05 pm:

Chris
Yes there were definite scratches on the piston, but the cylinder walls are good. You mention conrod bearing shells? Are there suppose to be brass bearings or bushings in there? Cause there were none.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Chris Busch (Cbusch) on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 05:01 pm:

"The piston had some wear on opposing sides(kind of like my zr900 when the piston stuck!). The rod was very slightly loose on the crank end."

It could be either piston slap or a wore out conrod bearing shells on the crank. Are there scraches on the piston? If not, I'd figure its just wore out bearing shells.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Chris Busch (Cbusch) on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 04:56 pm:

I'm hooking up hydralics, could I use 1/2 inch hydraulic hose for an inlet and 3/8 hydraulic hose for an outlet? I don't want to starve the pump...

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Peter Simonovitch (Psimonovitch) on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 04:49 pm:

Hi all:
Well I had a knock develop in my 149s k321 last week. So I ordered a rebuild kit.
In the mean time I pulled the motor and got it up on the stand.
I just had to take it a part and see what makes that knock. I could hear it during idle slightly, but could definitely hear it with a screwdriver to the motor and my ear!

The piston had some wear on opposing sides(kind of like my zr900 when the piston stuck!). The rod was very slightly loose on the crank end.

I'm still wondering what makes that knock?

Anyone?

Thanks Pete.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Stan Walker (Swalker) on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 03:58 pm:

147 half track
Hi all, here is a pick of my latest adventure, it will have a dump bed and mid mount grader blade when finished

Just a high tech redneck

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Rick Munday (Rmunday) on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 03:39 pm:

I can't wait to see that puppy up close!

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Tom Hoffman Northern Illinois Home of IHC (Thoffman) on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 03:10 pm:

Rick,
Got that one right.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy G.L.Louderback Jr. (Glouderback) on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 03:04 pm:

Hi Gang.
I obtained an original serial # 10454. I am missing the brake operating rod & clevis. It is NLA so I need to find one or make one. Anyone know the dimensions on the rod?
Thanks in advance---G.L.

G.L.Louderback

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Rick Munday (Rmunday) on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 02:54 pm:

Mike never does anything half azzed.

VERY nice Mike!

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Tom Hoffman Northern Illinois Home of IHC (Thoffman) on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 01:33 pm:

Mike,
Do you EVER make anything that's just average???? And it's name is ------??

Damn cool!

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Mike Masheris (Mmasheris) on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 01:25 pm:

Finally got the project Original done.#682 in productionStill have to put on the front PTO gearbox and aux hyd pump.Has one of Kents dash decals really sharp.
682dash

682lawn

682lawn1

682lawn2

682wheelpto

Red ones are popping up all over

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Jerry Gibson (Jgibson) on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 10:35 am:

Hi guys, haven't been on the forum for a looooong time and it has a few new features and a little different layout in spots, cool. I am so happy to be abe to get back on the site! I've missed it!

I have a question I'm sure one of you can point me in the right direction. If a person has a question on an mtd, or OT tractor would you just start a new thread in the appropriate forums? Just want to make sure I understand it before I start posting away in all the wrong areas! Thanks.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy David Kirk - For me it's Hydro-Therapy (Dkirk) on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 09:52 am:

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy David Kirk - For me it's Hydro-Therapy (Dkirk) on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 09:35 am:

Made up a new steering wheel insert for the 1250. The original decal had lost it's adhesive qualities and was looking a bit worn. This insert was made from .028 thick stainless steel sheet, cut to shape using the original decal as a pattern. 120 grit emery cloth was used to give the surface a "brushed" finish. The IH logo was cut from the original decal and glued to the new insert. A single sheet metal screw is all that's required to hold it firmly in place. I like the custom look.
The finish matches the stainless hood ornament.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Roland Bedell (Rbedell) on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 03:56 am:

Corey M:

I am not sure what you mean by auxillary pressure, but the Primary Pressure is created by the Charge Pump.
First things I would suggest that you look at, would be the Oil Level, and Hydro Filter (#923-3014). If it has been done in a while, perhaps a fluid and filter change are in store.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Aric Schneider (Aschneider) on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 12:52 am:

Well everyone, here is the latest addition to the family. Its my new to me welder. I found out tonight talking to Dave Kamp that its pretty versatile of a welder. It goes from 15A to 200A range. Could weld sheet metal to 1/2" thick steel easily, maybe even thicker for what whom knows. Here are some pics of it. Gotta learn how to weld and then a fabricating we will go. Have a great day.

Aric

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Corey Matter (Tmatter) on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 10:27 pm:

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix a hydro pump? I can not get anymovement out of the the drive spline. And I also do not have any auxiliary pressure.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Scott Tanner " 149 under 'da knife!" (Stanner) on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 09:11 pm:

Rich,
Just a reminder, that tractor you have is an off topic MTD built unit, and should be down in the Charlie's MTD area, or " across the street". I'm surprised you haven't gotten "poofed" yet...

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Kevin Lindstedt (Klindstedt) on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 07:28 pm:

Richard,

From the numbers you posted, that sounds like a Briggs & Stratton engine. If you go to their website, you can download the parts breakdown and owner's manuals for their products.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Richard F. Davis (Rfdavis) on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 01:00 pm:

I picked up a cub cadet 1440. plate on engine lists the following: 294447,Type 0445-01,code 940908 1962. it is a OHV engine. That is all I have. Would like a maintenance manual but don't know manufacturer of engine. Any help would be appreciated. It runs ok. It is hydromatic and I do not know what the lever under the console does for the hydromatic function.Thanks

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy David Phelps (Dphelps) on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 11:52 am:

59M Shredder Owners,what is the biggest stuff that can be put in the shredder without tearing up or wearing out the shredder? Like a 1" dia. green apple limb? bigger or smaller.

Kraig
There was a reason I was thinking about a 59M, I've just got tooo many piles around here, can't get rid of the GT's or P/Us that are all in a state of disrepair! A little more OT, we got the Cape Breton Celtic goddess Natalie McMaster playing in town in May, never get anything like that around here.
Dave

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Daniel M. Kelller Jr. (Dkeller) on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 06:00 pm:

i belive eventually they did but i do not know where they took it from there.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Steve Henderson (Shenderson) on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 05:31 pm:

DKeller: Thanks for the info. That makes all kinds of sense and confirms one version of what I suspected. Were sales figures met and did IH end up building their own? Just curious...

Steve H.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Tedd Ill (Till) on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 04:48 pm:

734 hours 13 min. to go!!! I have some work to do here..
Mount sleeve hitch
Mount spring assist
Change out tires
Add weights..
Add Captain Kirk upgrades.....

Too much to do and too little time....

My Cub loves my wallet
Lisle, Illinois ----- 82's rule

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Daniel M. Kelller Jr. (Dkeller) on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 04:12 pm:

the ih number 2 cart replaced the ih #1 cart in 1967. IH decided to purchase a 5 year invintory from ohio steel fabricators in Columbus Ohio the price then was 82.50 and if sales figures were met they planned to build them for themselves.

just to tell you all 128 was not supposed to have a driveshaft fan.

visit my site http://www.freewebs.com/kellerscubs/

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Steve Henderson (Shenderson) on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 04:00 pm:

Does anyone know whether IH manufactured the #2 carts or bought them from someone? I bought what looks like one at an auction (repainted red) and, lo and behold, when I got it home I found a tag that says "Sears, Roebuck and Co." It's also about 3" longer than my #2. I'm just wondering whether IH and Sears both bought them from a third party.

Steve H.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Dennis Frisk (Dfrisk) on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 01:27 pm:

We had a real nice thunderstorm last night... Lightning & the whole bit! This morning with 31 to 32 degrees it made for a cautious drive to work.... Snow is quickly disappearing. Temps hit 45-46 degrees yesterday but I doubt they get above 40 today. They're predicting 50 Friday but I think they're going to be disappointed. It will be too wet & muddy to get a Cubbie out Saturday. And I have a TON of branches to pickup too!

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Charlie "Digger" Proctor (Cproctor) on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 10:00 am:

Tom,
We were fairly dry until the we got that 4" of sloppy snow the other day and then 1" of rain yesterday. It's a sloppy mess around here now! Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Tom Hoffman Northern Illinois Home of IHC (Thoffman) on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 09:15 am:

Spring like weather here in northern Illinois today. 60 degrees!! I'm feeling plow time getting nearer.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Charlie "Digger" Proctor (Cproctor) on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 08:14 am:

Aric,
use the search feature at the top of the page.
Type in busch and change the search to authors and every post will come up that Terry has made, then click on one and go to the page and see if the pics are there that he posted. If not, continue on to the next page. they are there, you just gotta look for them.

(Message edited by cproctor on March 09, 2006)

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Aric Schneider (Aschneider) on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 07:37 am:

I was just making sure it worked. I was wondering. Terry Busch said that there are some pics of his loader and more information on here. Where do I find either the pics or the information? I am ordering the plans this weekend. Hopefully turns out to be what I wanted.

Also, since I have the NF front end. Would it be "beefy" enough if I took my spindles and copy the arc, give me 2-3 inches on each end, and then cut 2 pieces of 1/2" steel and weld them in the arc to help strengthen the spindles?

I need to figure out how to mount the pump now. I think I am going to copy Dave Kamp's mounting bracket though and mount the pump now. I just need to figure out what size of pulley to put on the crank shaft and what size of pulley to put on the pump to get the desired results.

Aric

(Message edited by aschneider on March 09, 2006)

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Charlie "Digger" Proctor (Cproctor) on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 07:34 am:

Kraig,
we both know I'm easily confused, but not this time! LOL
My 128 came with a fan.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos" (Kmcconaughey) on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 07:28 am:

Charlie, I think you're confusing the 128 (gear drive) with the 129 (hydro). :-)

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Charlie "Digger" Proctor (Cproctor) on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 08:32 pm:

Aric,
Welcome
That all you got to say is Hi?

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Aric Schneider (Aschneider) on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 08:16 pm:

Hi

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Peter Simonovitch (Psimonovitch) on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 07:54 pm:

Thank you Roland;
This is a great start for me.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Roland Bedell (Rbedell) on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 07:19 pm:

Peter S:

Well, now that we know that you have a Ported Pump, part of the battle is over. According to the Parts Manual, as best as I can see, that a Auxillary Hydraulic Circuit was never offered on the 149. That circuit was offered starting with the Q/L's. So, the attached pic's is the setup from the 82 series, but will give you the general idea. You will need a Dual Spool Valve and will have to fabricate the lever and linkages to operate the Valve. You will also have to do the piping of the lines. So, here ya go:

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Peter Simonovitch (Psimonovitch) on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 05:18 pm:

Hi all! This is my first post after a few years lurking, so go easy on me.(great site by the way)

I'm hoping someone on here can remember this.

I have seen separate or auxiliary hydraulic fittings put out front on a 149 to run "other accessories"

I am very interested in seeing a detailed setup or drawing of how this is done. And where the auxiliary control lever is mounted.

Has anyone on here done this? And documented it? I would love to see how its done. Can you run this off the existing 149 hydro unit?

I wanted to kick it up a notch on my beloved 149. It has hydo lift now.

If you would like to email me its kimter1@msn.com

I would be greatful for any info on this subject

Hell I'll even post pictures of my so to be 321a rebuild!

Thanks Pete

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Charlie "Digger" Proctor (Cproctor) on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 05:11 pm:

Peter,
Actually if memory serves me right none of the 128's had hydraulic lift from the factory.
But I know my 128 came with a fan and it looks unlolested so I just taking a guess.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Peter Simonovitch (Psimonovitch) on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 05:02 pm:

Roland
Yes it is a hydraulic lift.
Pete

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Daniel M. Kelller Jr. (Dkeller) on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 04:44 pm:

I don't think there was a fan on the 128 as there ? and they had screw marks around them like they were used for toggle switchs but my guess is as good as yours.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Charlie "Digger" Proctor (Cproctor) on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 04:28 pm:

Daniel K,
I'll betcha if you take the tunnel cover off, you'll find that the plastic fan on the drive shaft is gone and their thinking was to help cool things off through your cribbage board.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Daniel M. Kelller Jr. (Dkeller) on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 03:48 pm:

I don't really know what the holes on the tunnel are for but i imagine that there was one super-complicated implement on the back that cuased them to put those holes there for some electrical thing,you are right about the down force it will begin to lift the front tires when implement is down,and in regards to its origin i believe it was factory built becouse it is very well made and they used safetys that average everday people wouldn't put on and when i got it last friday the guy said he got it from a fleet of 6 of them all with air-ators. I'm tryin to call him to see where the rest went i think upstate somewhere.
Thanks
____________________________________________________________________________________
72,73,106,106,126,127,128,129,(parted 106,125)
_____________________________________________________________________________________
no pictures of it off i think it may never come off<like to restore it and bring to rpru it doesn't look easy or fast to come off.

(Message edited by dkeller on March 08, 2006)

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Charlie "Digger" Proctor (Cproctor) on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 03:39 pm:

Kraig,
It's a portable cribbage board! Geez everyone knows that! LOL

Daniel K,
You got pics of that beasty thing off the tractor yet? It looks like a cool piece of equipment.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos" (Kmcconaughey) on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 03:19 pm:

Daniel, that's a neat aerator setup! There sure is some thick steel in that, no lack of downforce with that one I would think. Is that a home made unit or a manufactured one? Any idea what all the holes in the tunnel cover are for?

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Daniel M. Kelller Jr. (Dkeller) on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 03:04 pm:

Hey people this is my first post, so make of what you want. I figured I'll show this to you all, and see what you think it is a 128 i recently got with mid-mounted air-ator
http://www.freewebs.com/kellerscubs/128.htm

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Scott Tanner " 149 under 'da knife!" (Stanner) on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 02:49 pm:

Dave G
Late last year I think it was Richard C did a really good series on this, and I think it is in the FAQ's. They can be fixed, but it is not easy... Do a search in the vault, or go to http://cubfaq.com/questions.html
And of course, new ones are available from our sponsors above.....
(Message edited by stanner on March 08, 2006)

(Message edited by stanner on March 08, 2006)

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy David Gallagher (Dgallagher) on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 02:37 pm:

I have been getting my 129 ready for grass cutting and noticed a small amount of tranny fluid coming out around one of the relief valves. Is there a kit for this repair or can it be repaired. Thanks

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Paul Fosen (Pfosen) on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 10:04 am:

I've been trying to get ahold of Travis at CC Specialties for some time now in regards to an order I placed. Does anyone know if he is ok? Haven't got a response at all...

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos" (Kmcconaughey) on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 08:12 am:

Denny, Herbert, I'm surprised that Steve B. didn't comment on the 12hp 100 as his 100 has a 12hp in it.

Steve, did you put front hydraulic outlets on your 129 (or do you refer to it as a 149?)?

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Dennis Frisk (Dfrisk) on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 07:45 am:

HERBERT G. - Nobody responded to Your question about the "120" Sounds like a real nice tractor.
I'm going to convert the 70 Dad bought brand new in 1964 into a 100 this summer. My 72 is becoming a 142 (14 HP 72) and the old K241 will get rebuilt and dropped into the 70. As those older Cubbies gain HP they become much more usable I feel. The old 7 & 8 HP engines struggled to do most jobs and were rather short-lived because of that. My K241 has about 1350 hrs on the last ring & valve job I did in 1985.... still doesn't burn much oil but I know it's tired. Piston is still stock diameter so I know it's got a LOT of hours on it. Back when the old 70 was mowing two barnyards every week that 70 got a rebuilt engine or a complete replacement engine every three years!
I'd paint Her up and run her!
STEVE - Nice truck! My new car had variable cam timing on both cams and combine that with the turbo It has as much HP as a 5.0L Mustang GT and gets 50% more MPG out of half the displacement. I can't wait till International offers the "Camless Engine" in a smaller truck in the next few years.... A 4-5 liter V-6 diesel in a pickup ought to be a real fun and economical vehicle!

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos" (Kmcconaughey) on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 07:43 am:

Steve B., if you ever sell that trailer I want first refusal! ;o)

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Steve Blunier (Sblunier) on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 07:38 am:

Cotton,

No, ring gear and pinion are fixed ratio in all of the F-Cub and Cub Cadet products (same ring gear & carrier assembly).

"Mr. Plow"
Running 8/9's & 82 Series in Central, IL

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Roland Bedell (Rbedell) on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 05:22 am:

Peter S:

First, do you have Hydraulic Lift on your 149 at present, or the "armstrong lever"..??

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Steve Blunier (Sblunier) on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 09:46 pm:

Charles,

In 3000 miles of mixed driving the worst tank full has been 15.98 mpg, best 18.25 mpg (400 mile interstate trip at 71 mph). Overall average is probably around 16.5 mpg. In 75,000 miles the 4.6L in the '97 averaged 15.8 mpg with a record high of right at 18 mpg. (All odometer/pumped gallons calculations...no "in dash computer" stuff).

Like I said before, the width and mass of the bigger truck makes a HUGE difference with a trailer and 2 or more Cubs. My Ranger was squirrely as all get out with 2 tractors on the trailer......I have never experienced anything but complet control with the full size though. I'm also a firm believer in electric brakes on any trailer capable of hauling 2 or more Cubs.....even behind a full size. The difference in control and safety (if you haven't experienced it first hand already) is very noticeable.

"Mr. Plow"
Running 8/9's & 82 Series in Central, IL

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy 'Wild Bill' Cook (Bcook) on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 09:26 pm:

Jerry M.

The type/style of sleeve hitch you have (the one Charlie posted a picture of) was designed for use on the 'Original'.

The 'newer' style lower bracket is a 'U' shape, and can be used with a stablizer plate, and adjustable jamb nuts.

Cub Cadet....an American living legend!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

8147 registered users
Discus 4.10.1 released 03/14/2007

All core web site images and graphics are the property of the IH Cub Cadet forum. Any unauthorized use, reproduction, duplication is prohibited.

DISCLAIMER:This website contains no material provided by MTD Products Inc, is not affiliated with or sponsored by MTD Products Inc, which owns the CUB CADET trademarks. It is not an official MTD Products Inc website and MTD Products Inc is not responsible for any of its content. The official MTD Products Inc, website can be found at: www.mtdproducts.com The information and opinions expressed on this website, including the bulletin boards and/or chat rooms hosted on this site are the responsibility of the website's owner and/or visitors, and do not represent the opinions of MTD Products Inc.