The Original forum for International Harvester Cub Cadet owners

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!
Want to donate to help keep this site free to use?

Please check the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) before posting your question -
perhaps it has already been answered there.

While you're at it, please also read through the IH Cub Cadet Forum Rules before posting.
Thanks!!

Got a suggestion for, question about or problem with the site? E-mail us at info@ihcubcadet.com

Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
IH Cub Cadet Forum * The Vault * Fuel shutoff < Previous Next >

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy adrian a gitch (Agitch) on Friday, December 31, 2004 - 08:35 am:

Thanks for the advise all. I will attempt the carb kit first, probably could use one anyway. I like Jim's theory and will still keep an eye on it. Ever since i've been using the manual shutoff, haven't had any problems. I guess it will definitely be fixed with an engine replacement which won't happen soon. This engine won't give up, doesn't smoke, runs perfect.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Jim Egstad (Jegstad) on Friday, December 31, 2004 - 06:28 am:

Adrian,

Jim Steele on the other cub forum said that the newer Kohler 2 cyls had a solenoid shutoff built-in to the carb to solve the problem you describe. So maybe it's not a bad idea. My 682 with a KT17 series 1 does the same thing occasionally when I drive it downhill. It starts to blow black smoke and run rough. I found it filled my crankcase with gas if I just parked it without getting it level and running right again.

I have always wondered if this is one of the reasons the series 1 got such a bad rep because if I drove it with diluted oil I would expect some bearing damage and eventual failure. I haven't done any fixing on it yet but I keep a close eye on the oil level for signs it is going up and I change it immediately if it does. I have been collecting parts to replace the KT17 and plan on a solenoid shutoff or moving the tank under the seat .

Jim Egstad

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy KENtuckyKEN (Kweaver) on Friday, December 31, 2004 - 05:37 am:

Hugh ... not since EPA put their foot down !
I've had one soaking 4 days and the bowl gasket still wont come off !!
It doesn't even eat the oil off my Pin Tools before I Black Oxide them.

Pin Tool Inventor :-)
Working on Tool #2

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Hugh Simon (Hsimon) on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 10:35 pm:

Adrian- I will agree with what Dennis is saying take the carb apart and put it in the "burn out" solution for a couple hours and then put a new kit in it complete with a new float and set according to the manual and all should be well. There should be no need for an automatic fuel shut off like a forklift uses.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Dennis Tiernan (Dtiernan) on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 10:22 pm:

Adrian,

Sounds like you have a carb problem. The fuel should not flow when the engine is shut off. Check your float and make sure it floats. Check the needle and seat for debris that does not allow it to close, or damaged seal area.
If you have never done anything to the carb, a kit might be a good idea. I clean mine with carb cleaner and spray down all the holes to clean every thing out. Some of the guys here have gotten a 1 gal can of carb dip to soak them. Cleans it like new.

The fork lift industry uses 12V fuel shut off valves if you want to go that route. A local forklift repair company should be able to get one. I would guess that they are available through custom auto shops also.

If you go though the carb and make sure it is alright, that should solve the problem the right way.

IMO, FWIW, YMMV, My $0.02, Yada, Yada, Yada...

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy adrian a gitch (Agitch) on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 07:43 pm:

I have an IH 682 and for whatever reason if i don't close the fuel shut off, it will drain fuel into the engine when it is not running. I would like to use an automatic fuel shutoff. Anybody have any suggestions as to what kind and where to get one?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

8224 registered users
Discus 4.10.1 released 03/14/2007

All core web site images and graphics are the property of the IH Cub Cadet forum. Any unauthorized use, reproduction, duplication is prohibited.

DISCLAIMER:This website contains no material provided by MTD Products Inc, is not affiliated with or sponsored by MTD Products Inc, which owns the CUB CADET trademarks. It is not an official MTD Products Inc website and MTD Products Inc is not responsible for any of its content. The official MTD Products Inc, website can be found at: www.mtdproducts.com The information and opinions expressed on this website, including the bulletin boards and/or chat rooms hosted on this site are the responsibility of the website's owner and/or visitors, and do not represent the opinions of MTD Products Inc.