The Original forum for International Harvester Cub Cadet owners

Please check the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) before posting your question -
perhaps it has already been answered there.

While you're at it, please also read through the IH Cub Cadet Forum Rules before posting.
Thanks!!

Got a suggestion for, question about or problem with the site? E-mail us at info@ihcubcadet.com

Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
IH Cub Cadet Forum * IH Cub Cadet Pulling and Hot Rodding  

Ask The Pros . . .

Professional Garden Tractor pullers and others share their wealth of knowledge about IH Cub Cadet Pulling, Hot Rodding and other performance enhancing products and ideas. Let's hear about your discoveries ! !

Here's the whole scoop on Building a Killer Kohler 301 For an IH Cub Cadet Garden Tractor. A must read from The IH Cub Cadet Forum's own David Kirk.

And now, part II on building a Killer Kohler, also from David Kirk.

The third in a series by David Kirk, building a killer K241A.

You'll need at least version 5 of the FREE Adobe Reader to view and print these documents.

Thread Originator Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through September 05, 2010 Mick morgan (Memorga
 40   03-15-11  01:20 pm
by richard lynn smith
Archive through March 16, 2011 Todd Markle (Farmall
 40   06-24-11  08:18 pm
by steven heeres (She
Archive through July 09, 2011 Michael McGuire (Mmc
 40   10-21-11  11:17 pm
by David Rohacek (Dro
Archive through October 24, 2011 Dennis Frisk (Dfrisk
 40   02-19-12  10:19 pm
by Matt Rorie (Mrorie
Archive through February 20, 2012 JESSY GORDON (Jlgord
 40   01-02-13  09:31 am
by chris walfield (Cw
Archive through January 02, 2013 jeff l baker (Jbaker
 40   04-12-13  09:11 am
by Vincent Thomley (V
Archive through April 12, 2013 Dennis Frisk (Dfrisk
 40   07-10-13  07:18 am
by Mick morgan (Memor
Archive through July 10, 2013 Nic Bextermueller (N
 40   06-17-14  07:23 pm
by Nic Bextermueller
Archive through August 03, 2014 john gurski (Jdcgurs
 40   08-11-18  03:49 pm
by Digger (Cproctor)
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy jeff Hartle (Jhartle) on Tuesday, March 12, 2019 - 07:20 pm:

Thank you for you input Dennis,I'm not sure how to respond to you directly so I hope you see this. I have a 12.5hp cub engine out of a newer model, I checked to see if it would fit, It"s to wide. I have 3 other tractors, 2 with plows and a John Deere to cut the grass. So I quess the 800 will be more for looking at then anything else.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Dennis Frisk (Dfrisk) on Monday, March 11, 2019 - 05:17 am:

Jeff -Welcome to IHCC.Com. not much activity here in the pulling forum. I have thousands of hours of seat time in 7 & 8 hp Cub Cadets. A 7 hp barely runs a 38 inch mower deck, an 8 hp is only 14% less gutless. 7 & 8 hp Kohlers have at least one too few head bolts, makes it hard to increase compression pressure and keep any kind of reliability or durability. The forecast Conn rod means you have to keep rpm down. So if you can't increase cylinder pressure or rpm, your pretty much stuck with stock horse power.

The secret to getting more usable HP in a 7 or 8 hp CC is an engine swap. I put a freshly rebuilt in my 1968 model 72 about 1985. That engine ran 14 years very reliably, till I built up a 14 hp engine to replace it. I rebuilt the 10 hp and put it in a 1965 model 70 Dad bought brand new and that wore out four 7 & 8 hp engines. Because the small engines have to work so hard they wear out quick too. When the 70 was new the engine was rebuilt or replaced every three years mowing two farm yards.
A Cub Cadet 800 is a pretty rare model, lowest production model made I think. I can understand wanting it to stay stock appearing. I think your answer is to buy a 12 or 14 hp CC, probably a hydro, do most of your power hungry chores with it and use the 800 for the light duty chores. You can never have too many CC's.

There are things you can do to increase the HP of your K-181 engine, grind reliefs into the top deck of block leading into & out of the valves, increase compression by raising piston in the bore by offset boring conn rod for a main bearing insert. Nobody pulls with a 7 or 8 hp engine so I'm not sure if anybody regrinds camshafts for those engines. You would have to ask them. A bigger carb from say a 10 hp engine could be I stalled. There's several websites dedicated to increasing hp for garden tractor pulling.

Do a search for Midwest SuperCub and look at all the stuff they make for pulling tractors. I drive right by their shop about every month or two. Someday on a week day I'm stopping in to say HI.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy jeff Hartle (Jhartle) on Sunday, March 10, 2019 - 09:38 pm:

I have 1975 cub 800 with the 8hp, I want to keep it original but I'd like to squeeze more power out of the 8hp, I'd like to know the most cost effective way to achieve this, any input would be appreciated.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow" (Central IL) (Sblunier) on Monday, February 11, 2019 - 11:19 am:

Wow,that's creative!!!

The most peaceful thing in the world is plowing a field. Chances are youíll do your best thinking that way. And thatís why Iíve always thought and said, farmers are the smartest people in the world, they donít go for high hats and they can spot a phony a mile off. - Harry Truman

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy David Rohacek (Drohacek) on Sunday, February 10, 2019 - 10:12 pm:

Jones Block with 455 Oldsmobile head

Jones Block with 455 Olds head

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy David Rohacek (Drohacek) on Sunday, February 10, 2019 - 10:09 pm:

Jones Block with 455 Olds head

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Kirk Lorenz (Klorenz) on Monday, January 14, 2019 - 10:57 am:

Michael,

May find your answer here?

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/index.htm

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Michael A.Masheris (Mmasheris) on Tuesday, January 08, 2019 - 11:58 am:

I have a question for you pullers.I am going to use an 18hp cam in a K341 do you run more valve clearance to get it to start?I had one in a 341 years back and was hard to start had to start at idle.Is the duration blowing of the compression.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Kirk Lorenz (Klorenz) on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 01:24 pm:

Started life as a model 71. Tractor classified as a 'Stock Altered'. Single cylinder engine based on the 16hp Kohler (Midwest Super Cub aftermarket block). Dodge Dart rear end set-up with 4-speed. Wish I could take credit for building it. Bought from friend that built it and pulled it several years. Still in excellent shape and competitive.

I have one video of my son pulling it at our first pull this spring. Can't get it to download though...

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Earl Ford (Eford) on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 06:38 pm:

Woah!!!!

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Marty A. Gwin (Mgwin) on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 04:17 pm:

Kirk,

I agree with Charlie, more details.
Also, more pics, and pics with it in action too! (surely you have some)
Please,

"The man who moves mountains begins by carrying away small stones one at a time."

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

9759 registered users
Discus 4.10.1 released 03/14/2007

All core web site images and graphics are the property of the IH Cub Cadet forum. Any unauthorized use, reproduction, duplication is prohibited.

DISCLAIMER:This website contains no material provided by MTD Products Inc, is not affiliated with or sponsored by MTD Products Inc, which owns the CUB CADET trademarks. It is not an official MTD Products Inc website and MTD Products Inc is not responsible for any of its content. The official MTD Products Inc, website can be found at: www.mtdproducts.com The information and opinions expressed on this website, including the bulletin boards and/or chat rooms hosted on this site are the responsibility of the website's owner and/or visitors, and do not represent the opinions of MTD Products Inc.